Thursday, January 31, 2008

Doug is leaving home

Well, the post I have been dreading is here. Doug will be leaving home soon - onto the biggest part he will ever play - soon he will be directing the heavens. Jean has been by his side since this am. Sally and John stopped in and that was such a wonderful thing - as Doug actually showed signs of knowing they were there!

Mike came by after work - he has been so wonderful. Last evening he brought Doug cable for his TV and tonight when he came and saw that Doug was in an end of life sleep - he actually went all the way back to Albany to pick up Doug's favorite opera music - which is playing now....

I have a ton of things I want to say here - I want to say that I love my brother, that I am grateful to have had him in my life - that I am sorry that I wasn't always the perfect sister or friend, that I wish with all my heart he could have had one good year of retirement and traveled once more to his beloved Puerto Rico.... That I will miss our talks about Project Runway and his weekly reminders to watch it.

Then there is Jean - Jean who will have a broken heart, which seems so unfair as she gave her all - her entire being to Doug and his recovery, what do you say to someone who loves your brother like that? How the heck can I ever make that better, because in truth, this part is really about Jean - the person who loved Doug beyond anything I have ever experienced. I know that once Doug leaves us he will be so much better off, out of pain, worry and free from his fear of getting old. So if you read this please be sure to offer your love and support to her, this very quiet, calm and strong woman who came into my brother's life and saved it for so long.