Friday, January 25, 2008

UpDate January 25th 2008 No Transplant - Hospice Care

Doug has returned home to NY - and is now in St. Peter's Hospital - Jean traveled with him in the ambulance for the 8 hour trip - what a hardship for her, what a wonderful friend she is! I am now preparing Doug's room for him - I am going to go out and get 4 new pillows - just so he can sink into the bed when he gets here.

When I spoke with Doug this evening he was in good spirits - the best he has been in, in a week- and I was so glad to hear him laugh. I told him that I was disappointed about him not having the transplant, because as his living donor I had planned on using that on him for years and years of favors - we both had a good laugh at that, after all he knows its true :) - isn't that what a sister is supposed to do. Drive her brother crazy - so far I think I have done a wonderful job.

I spoke with his friend Mike - Doug's roommate of over 30 years (both confirmed bachelors) - and he is bringing over some of Doug's things - like a small tv with dvd player and his PJ's and just "stuff" to make things homey when he comes here. Mike had repainted Doug's room in his old home, in hopes that one day he would be well enough to return there - and I know that he was quite saddened to realize that this is not going to happen....

I am really glad to be able to have Doug in my home and I know that my mom is looking forward to seeing him. I am not sure how much her Alzheimer's Disease lets her understand, and I am not sure how to handle future events as they happen, I am going to have to leave that up to God and prayer.

Hospice will be coming in for an hour or so every other day - we were hoping for every day - but the insurance only covers a small bit of the expense, and Doug's bills are mounting quickly now, but they have not become unmanageable - thank goodness. I would rather conserve his funds for things that he will really enjoy - maybe bring in Jean's friend - sorry can't remember her name - and give Doug a massage - or maybe get him a really cool haircut, just some fun things instead of all the hospital necessities. In retrospect it really doesn't matter, my mind set has always been to conserve so that Doug would be OK in his retirement years, but that isn't important now....so we will do what we need to do, and I am thankful that we can!

Doug's birthday is January 29th and I am hoping he will be well enough to maybe have some of his friends drop in.

I am both happy to have him home and sad to know that the only reason he is at home is because there will not be a transplant. Life is just a bit strange at times.

Hugs
Denise